Adoption Policies and Procedures
Considering adopting a retired breeding dog?
Congratulations on making the decision to add one of our precious Angels to your household! Please read our adoption policies and procedures. If you are sure you are ready to commit to providing a forever home for one of our Angels, please continue on and complete an adoption application. Please understand the time it takes to rescue and care for our Angels and the emotional bonds we form with them. We go to great lengths to make sure our dogs are placed in the most suitable and loving homes that will provide for them for the rest of their lives in. Our application representative should be in contact with you within 5 business days after completing our adoption application. We strive to ensure our adoption process is as smooth and positive as possible for all involved.
STOP! Before you read any further or complete an adoption application....
Are you the right fit for a retired breeder dog?
(Please ask yourself the following questions, if you answer 'no' to any of them please do further research or reconsider completing an adoption application)
- Do you have a good understanding of where our dogs come from?
- Are you/your family calm and understanding?
- Do you have time to commit to training and helping your new dog learn?
- If you live in a household with multiple people, is everyone on board?
- Are you willing to show the dog you are interested in adopting all the good things in life that they have never experienced before?
- Did you know that most of our dogs available for adoption will still need help learning after the adoption takes place? Unless otherwise marked as 'housetrained' a majority of our dogs still need work on housetraining, or worst case scenario, may never be FULLY housetrained (meaning NEVER not having an accident in the house) They will also need continued work on socialization to help overcome their fears of humans, toys, etc.
- Do you understand that expectations or time limits should NEVER be set on one of our dogs? (It may take weeks, months, even years for these dogs to partially to possibly fully overcome their fears. They may not play with toys right away, eat, walk on a leash, go potty outside all the time, show you love or want to be held.
- Do you understand that retired breeding dogs have been neglected of veterinary care their entire lives? And that these are not always healthy or well-bred dogs? (All health concerns will be discussed multiple times BEFORE Step 3 in our adoption process even takes place and multiple times before the adoption is completed.) We do our best in making sure all health concerns (that can be addressed) are addressed before the dog is made available for adoption. Please understand we are not veterinarians. We use our best judgement in making health related decisions for our dogs and rely on our veterinarians to make sure our dogs are healthy and/or ready to be made available for adoption. If a dog has health concerns but can be placed in a forever home, continued care will be discussed and we will ensure potential adopters are ready and willing to take on those costs and continue to provide the needed care for their new family member.
- Are you interested in adopting one of our dogs for the 'cuteness' factor or only because they are a particular breed?
We are looking for people/families who are truly interested in providing for and showing one of our retired breeders all the things they have never had in life. People/families who have a good understanding who these dogs are, what they have been through and where they come from. A good fit for a majority of our dogs are patient, enthusiastic, willing, determined and loving people/families who are truly interested in our cause and are adopting a retired breeder dog simply to give them the life they deserve.
Our Office Base is in Thorp but our dogs are placed in foster homes all across the state of Wisconsin. If you would like to set up a time to meet with a certain dog please contact us.
You MUST have an approved adoption application to set up a dog meet. That is our way of knowing you are truly interested in adopting.
-Lil’ Rascals does not adopt to families whose current animals are not spayed/neutered or up to date on core vaccinations.
-Lil’ Rascals does not allow our retired breeders to be kenneled. Some can be contained to a smaller area and some cannot, it depends on the dog.
-Our dogs are to be inside dogs ONLY! For the dog's safety and wellbeing they will reside indoors only with their families.
-Lil’ Rascals does follow up with all dogs that are adopted from us. (It is a stipulation in our contract) If you do not want us to be part of you or your new dog's life, please do not adopt from us. When you adopt from us, you become 'family' in a way. Our main goal is to ensure the health and welfare of all of our dogs.
-If for any reason you are not able to care for or keep the dog you adopted from Lil’ Rascals any longer you need to return the dog back to us. There are no EXCEPTIONS to this!
-You must be 18 years or older to adopt from us.
*Special circumstances may be considered*
-Only one person's name/information/signature is allowed to be on the adoption contract. That name will be the same as on the adoption application.
These policies are NOT to deter you from adopting. We have these policies in place simply to protect our dogs and our organization. Our goal is to find only the best home for each of our dogs. Some of our dogs may need special considerations due to their past history, behavior or health. We will put the dogs in the best suitable homes that we see fit! We hope you understand this and truly hope you admire our dedication to each and every dog in our care.
Steps to adopting-
Step One- Research
Please research retired breeding dogs and puppy mills. All of the dogs we rescue are retired breeding dogs and have spent their entire life living in a cage, being used for breeding prior to their rescue. When our dogs first arrive, they know nothing because they have never had the chance to actually ‘live’ before. They have never been able to run, play with toys, have a soft bed, feel the grass beneath their feet or even breathe fresh air. Below are some informational links.
Step Two- Adoption Application
Complete our Adoption Application and pay the $20 application fee. Our application is a bit lengthy but very much necessary to help us place our dogs in the best home possible. From the adoption application we get an idea of your home environment, learn about your other pets, you and your lifestyle. Once we receive your completed adoption application and the $20 application fee has been submitted, we will forward your application ahead for processing. Your application will be reviewed, personal and veterinary references called and then you will receive an email response from our application processor within 3 days of submitting your application. Please check your spam folder for an email response, it may not always show up in your Inbox. If you do not receive a response within 3 days of filling out the adoption application, please email us and let us know.
Step Three- Home Visit
Have an approved home visit completed. Once you receive a response on your application, our application processor will set up a time for a home visit to be completed. We do try to accommodate all applications, including those from out-of-state but are only able to complete an adoption if a volunteer is available to do a home visit and the home visit is approved. During the home visit our volunteer go over some questions and points about welcoming your new dog into your home. They will also inspect your home and yard to make sure it is safe for one of our dogs. If the home visit is not completed with the dog you are applying to adopt, you will be notified if you home visit is approved and arrange a time to pick up your new furry family member.
Step Four- Dog Meet
Dog meets can be done in different places. If we bring the dog you are interested in adopting, the dog meet will take place at your home at that time. Other ways a dog meet can be completed, is by bringing your dog(s) by when the dog you are interested in adopting is at PetSmart for adoptions or a dog meet can be arranged at PetSmart (Eau Claire).
Step Five- Adoption!
This is such a happy moment for our prospective families and the lucky dog being chosen for adoption!! Our adoption step can vary case by case. Most of the time if you are in the central Wisconsin area, we will bring the dog you would like to adopt to your home to do the home visit. We will also bring along all of the dog’s paperwork and adoption paperwork to complete the adoption if we feel the dog is comfortable in your home, your potential new furry family member and current furry family members get along and the home visit is approved. We will then have you sign the adoption contract and pay the $280 adoption fee. When this happens, after the adoption contract is signed, all of the dog’s paperwork will be explained to you and it is yours to keep. You will receive a copy of your adoption contract by mail within a week of the adoption taking place.
We accept cash or check for the adoption fee. If you are paying with a check, you will need to provide your driver's license.
A form of I.D. of the person signing the contract will need to be shown at time of adoption. If you are picking up the dog you are adopting you are required to have a collar, leash, harness, kennel or safe way to get them home.
Retired Breeders- $280
*Adoption Fees are Non-Negotiable
Adoption Fees Include:
Physical Wellness Exam (Including Health Certificate)
Spay/Neuter *Age Appropriate
Vaccinations *Age Appropriate
Dental and tooth extractions (As Necessary)
Flea/Tick and Heartworm Medication
Lil’ Rascals Refuge is State Licensed and Inspected by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection
There is an application fee of $20 that will need to be paid when you submit your adoption application. Your application submission cannot be completed without a paid application fee of $20.
APPLICATION FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE
APPLICATION FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE
Filling out the adoption application means you are seriously interested in adopting one of our dogs. Please understand though, we may get more than 1 application for the same dog.
We reserve the right to refuse adoption to any client at any time.
We reserve the right to refuse adoption to any client at any time.